Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Check Check Check

Some of the items on my list were difficult to photograph, so this post will highlight what I was able to accomplish.

run 4 miles

In September when I wrote my list, I had been running/walking in the evenings. I slowly started to run more and more and worked up to running 2.5 miles straight. I was athletic in high school and participated in every sport at one time or another, but I was a short distance runner. In track I would run the approach for long jump, the 100, 200 and sometimes the 400. This is why I wanted to set my goal to run farther than I ever had before. Shortly after I posted my list I was able accomplish that goal by running around the section. Every week after that until November, I ran 4 miles one day of the week.

go to the dentist
In October I went to the dentist after several years. It was 4 years to be exact, but luckily I didn't have any cavities. Hopefully I won't wait another 4 years to go again.

read a book

I'm not a big reader. I don't mind reading good books, but I don't take the time to read very often, so it takes me forever to read a book. That is why I chose an easy book Marley & Me. Mike and I have two labs our black lab, Hunter, acts like Marley in the book. Our yellow lab, Bessie, looks like Marley. Overall I thought the book was pretty good and would recommend it to anyone wanting an easy reading book.


donate something
So when I put this item on my list, I was planning to donate blood for the first time. I faint pretty easily, so I have never tried to give blood, but I have always wanted too. A blood drive was scheduled in town on November 5 with the Community Blood Bank and I was ready, however, then the Chamber's Strategic Planning Kick-Off meeting was scheduled for November 5 as well I knew I couldn't do both. Especially if I had a hard time donating blood, so I found a different way to donate. I took 4 sacks of cloths and household item to our church for the Etc. Shop.

volunteer somewhere different
This year I joined the Preschool Committee at our church. This is a very small way to volunteer my time, but it was been very enjoyable to volunteer on a board for someone else because I'm usually working with volunteers on other board through my job at the Chamber.

4 comments:

  1. LOVE the running picture. Very innovative. Your mother would be proud;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marley looks like he could be a granchild of your labs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just remember, and this advice comes from someone who knows, no matter how hard you push yourself, you've gotta save a little energy for the run back up that gradual incline into the yard. It's not very long, but after 2 or three miles, it's a bugger.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't finish the Marley book. I got to the place where he got old and had to be carried out to go to the bathroom and I knew what was going to happen, but didn't want to read about it. GREAT book, though, and his antics reminded me quite of bit of Mr. Hunter James.

    ReplyDelete