Monday, December 21, 2009

Mennonite Monday - Pop Corn Candy

Mennonite Monday started because I wanted to make recipes from the Bethesda Mennonite Church Cookbooks (both the yellow and the white cookbook for those of you who own them). I also wanted to take pictures of each recipe that I made, so I would know for future reference what the recipe should look like. I am by no means a great cook, but I think it will be fun to try new and different recipes each week. Not all of these recipes are for ethnic Mennonite food, but the women from Henderson know how to cook, so I can safely say that these recipes will be good. Check back each Monday for a new recipe and feel free to leave a comment if you have a favorite recipe from these cookbooks, or if you have some tips on what I should make and how I should make it.
~
We are having Mennonite Tuesday this week, but I promise I have a good excuse. As you may have realized, I was on vacation last week. As soon as we arrived home on Saturday we hit the ground running and I finally found some time to post my recipe for this week.

Since Christmas is on Friday, I wanted to make some type of candy. Unfortunately my cupboards were practically bare after a week of vacation, so I didn't have many ingredients to work with. I did find all the ingredients for Pop Corn Candy on page 90 of the white cookbook.

Pop Corn Candy
1 cup sugar
1 cup white syrup
1 cup butter
2 gallons popcorn
1 tbl soda
1 tbl vinegar


I have an air popper for the microwave so I popped it first and measured it with a pitcher naturally.

I also spread the popcorn out on wax paper because I knew the popcorn would be sticky and hard to stir in a bowl.

Cook sugar, syrup and butter for 5 minutes.

I didn't start my 5 minute timer until this point when the mixture was warm and the butter was half way melted.

Add 1 tbl soda. At this point I was worried that my pot was too small and I was going to have a big mess but...
next you add the vinegar, which made the mixture go down some. Remove from heat and stir.

Pour over 2 gallons of popcorn. May also be used to make popcorn balls.

I hope all of you have a wonderful holiday season and can spend a good amount of time with family.

You can look forward to a vacation review, Christmas cookie recipes and hopefully the yearly Bergen Christmas letter on this blog during the next week or two.

1 comment:

  1. Kelsey, Mike's Grandma Evelyn used to make this popcorn every Christmastime before she had problems with the dystonia in her jaw and mouth. I loved it, but have never made it. Guess that might have to change. Thanks for reminding me of a GREAT recipe! :0

    ReplyDelete