Monday, December 14, 2009

Mennonite Monday - Potatoes Au Gratin

Mennonite Monday started because I wanted to make recipes from the Bethesda Mennonite Church Cookbooks (both the yellow and the white cookbook for those of you who own them). I also wanted to take pictures of each recipe that I made, so I would know for future reference what the recipe should look like. I am by no means a great cook, but I think it will be fun to try new and different recipes each week. Not all of these recipes are for ethnic Mennonite food, but the women from Henderson know how to cook, so I can safely say that these recipes will be good. Check back each Monday for a new recipe and feel free to leave a comment if you have a favorite recipe from these cookbooks, or if you have some tips on what I should make and how I should make it.
~
I made this recipe during harvest and it went over really well. There are many different recipes for potatoes (there are eight different recipes in the white church cookbook) but I decided to make the one at the top of page 223.

Potatoes Au Gratin
2 lbs frozen has browns
1/2 cup melted butter
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 can cream of chicken or cream of onion soup
2 cups grated cheese
1 cup milk
1 cup sour cream
2 cups cornflakes, crushed


Put potatoes in 9 x 13" pan or large casserole. Then salt, pepper, onion, 1/4 cup melted butter and cheese.

Mix soup, sour cream and milk. Pour over potatoes. ( I forgot to mix these three ingredients and just put them individually on the potatoes, which seamed to work fine.)

Top with crushed corn flakes mixed with remaining melted butter.

Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.

2 comments:

  1. I lighten up this casserole by omitting all or most of the butter (just use the butter for the crumb topping), cutting down the amount of cheese, and using fat-free or light sour cream. IMO, you can't tell the difference, but can eat and feel not-quite so guilty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Additional thought: you can also use the fat-free or healthy-request cream soup!

    ReplyDelete