Monday, December 7, 2009

Mennonite Monday - Stuffed Green Peppers

Mennonite Monday started because I wanted to make recipes from the Bethesda Mennonite Church Cookbooks (both the yellow and the white cookbook for those of you who own them). I also wanted to take pictures of each recipe that I made, so I would know for future reference what the recipe should look like. I am by no means a great cook, but I think it will be fun to try new and different recipes each week. Not all of these recipes are for ethnic Mennonite food, but the women from Henderson know how to cook, so I can safely say that these recipes will be good. Check back each Monday for a new recipe and feel free to leave a comment if you have a favorite recipe from these cookbooks, or if you have some tips on what I should make and how I should make it.
~
I had two green peppers in the refrigerator that needed to be used, so I decided to try the Stuffed Green Peppers on page 221 of the white church cookbook. As you will see, I only had two green peppers, so I only did half the recipe.

Stuffed Green Peppers
4 green peppers
1 lb. hamburger
1 small onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 cup raw rice
1/2 tsp salt
1 quart stewed tomatoes
1/2 cup catsup

Precook cleaned green peppers in salted water for 5 minutes.

Saute meat and onion until brown. Stir in remaining ingredients. (I cooked my hamburger in my Pampered Chef micro cooker in the microwave and then mixed the rest of the ingredients in that container.)

Stuff into pepper. Place in greased baking dishing, putting excess filling around edge. Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment