Monday, October 19, 2009

Mennonite Monday - Oven Baked Potatoes

Mennonite Monday started because I wanted to make recipes from the Bethesda Mennonite Church Cookbooks (both the yellow and the white cookbook for those of you who own them). I also wanted to take pictures of each recipe that I made, so I would know for future reference what the recipe should look like. I am by no means a great cook, but I think it will be fun to try new and different recipes each week. Not all of these recipes are for ethnic Mennonite food, but the women from Henderson know how to cook, so I can safely say that these recipes will be good. Check back each Monday for a new recipe and feel free to leave a comment if you have a favorite recipe from these cookbooks, or if you have some tips on what I should make and how I should make it.
~
With harvest almost in full swing, I have been making more for supper since I am feeding three, sometimes four, hungry men. One week I wanted to make a potato recipe that I remember my mother making when I was growing up, so I asked her for the recipe and she was glad to inform me that it was from the white church cookbook on page 223.

Oven Baked Potatoes
6 medium potatoes
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/8 tsp pepper
3/4 tsp salt
2/3 cup butter, melted


Mix flour, Parmesan, pepper and salt and place in a bag. Since I don't have much time to make a whole meal after work, I put the ingredients in the bag ahead of time, so they were ready.

The recipe says to peel the potatoes and cut them in half, but my mom always did it a different way, so I left the peel on and cut them in slices. I also did this ahead of time. In order of the potatoes to keep overnight, I put them in a bag with water and salt in the refrigerator.

Once you are ready to make your potatoes, heat the oven to 350. While the oven is warming and you are working on the potatoes, put the butter on a large flat pan in the oven, so it can melt.

Put potatoes in the bag with the other ingredients and shake

until your potatoes are covered.

By now your butter should be melted.

Place the potatoes on the pan and bake for 1 hour, flipping them over half way through. My potatoes could have used a little more than an hour to bake because they weren't as crispy as I like them, but wanting crispy potatoes kind of runs in my family.

I cannot say these potatoes are healthy, but they are crunchy on the outside and soft in the middle. What more could you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment