Monday, October 12, 2009

Mennonite Monday - Fluffy Waffles & Waffle Sauce

Mennonite Monday started because I wanted to make recipes from the Bethesda Mennonite Church Cookbooks (both the yellow and the white cookbook for those of you who own them). I also wanted to take pictures of each recipe that I made, so I would know for future reference what the recipe should look like. I am by no means a great cook, but I think it will be fun to try new and different recipes each week. Not all of these recipes are for ethnic Mennonite food, but the women from Henderson know how to cook, so I can safely say that these recipes will be good. Check back each Monday for a new recipe and feel free to leave a comment if you have a favorite recipe from these cookbooks, or if you have some tips on what I should make and how I should make it.
~

This is a great recipe for breakfast when you have guests. I made it for Mike and Trevor when they got done hunting this fall. Since it is hard for me to eat waffles without white sauce, I decide to post two recipes from the white church cookbook on page 37. Fluffy Waffles and Waffle Sauce(white sauce). In my family we have waffles and white sauce every year on Christmas morning.


Fluffy Waffles
2 cups flour
3 Tbl sugar
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 eggs-beat yolks and whites separately
4 Tbl oil or melted butter
1 3/4 cups milk

Sift dry Ingredients into mixing bowl. Beat yolks and milk. Add about half to dry mixture, beat till smooth. Then add remaining milk and egg, beat till smooth. Add oil and then fold in stiffly beaten egg whites.


This is what the batter looks like when everything is mixed in.


This recipe made five big Belgium waffles.

Waffle Sauce
3 cups milk
1 cup prepared waffle batter
1 cup sugar
3/4 tsp vanilla (optional)

Warm milk


Add batter and cook until thickened. We have found that it is very important to have a person continuously stirring while the sauce thickens because it tends to stick to the bottom of your pot if you don't constantly stir it.


Once thick, add sugar and vanilla. Serve on waffles.


This is the finished product. Pretty impressive for relatively little work.

2 comments:

  1. i love white sauce! most people still look at me strange when i try to describe it. but i hate to eat waffles without, it's so much better than just syrup.
    we have waffles on christmas too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always do my white sauce in the microwave and then you don't have to stir it continuously. You do however have to keep an eye on it that it doesn't boil over or you have a big mess in the microwave! I grew up with pudding over waffles and couldn't believe it when I met Brad and realized they also do a sauce over their waffles! Waffles aren't waffles without the sauce!

    ReplyDelete