Monday, July 26, 2010

Mennonite Monday - Cherry Cola Sald

Mennonite Monday started because I wanted to make recipes from the Bethesda Mennonite Church Cookbooks (both the yellow and the white cookbook for those of you who own them). I also wanted to take pictures of each recipe that I made, so I would know for future reference what the recipe should look like. I am by no means a great cook, but I think it will be fun to try new and different recipes each week. Not all of these recipes are for ethnic Mennonite food, but the women from Henderson know how to cook, so I can safely say that these recipes will be good. Check back each Monday for a new recipe and feel free to leave a comment if you have a favorite recipe from these cookbooks, or if you have some tips on what I should make and how I should make it.
~
I know that Cherry Cola Salad did not win the vote this week, but I didn't have a reason to make Enchiladas, so that will be the recipe for next week.  I made Cherry Cola Salad (pg 190W) for a Sunday School potluck meal and was very impressed with it.  It was a quick recipe that went together in 15 minutes or so, and tasted very good.  I didn't think it tasted like cola at all, but others may have felt differently.  I will also say that I'm not a huge fan of cherries from pie filling because they are kind of mushing, but these plumped up with the other ingredients. 
Cherry Cola Salad
3/4 cup water
1 can cherry pie filling
1 6 oz box cherry gelatin
1 #2 can crushed pineapple with juice
3/4 cup sugar
1 Tbl lemon juice
1 cup Pepsi
1/2 cup chopped nuts (I did not use the chopped nuts)

Combine water and sugar and bring to a boil.  Add pie filling and return to a boil.  Pour boiling mixture over gelatin, stirring to dissolve.  Add the pineapple and juice, lemon juice, Pepsi and nuts.  Pour into a 9x13"pan and chill.  
 Sugar and water boiling 

 Adding the pie filling. 

 I took the pan off the burner and mixed the jello into the same pan to save on dishes.

 Adding pineapple (with juice) and lemon juice.  I don't know what a #2 can of pineapple is, so I just picked one and it worked out fine. 

 My pan got too full, so I moved everything to the 9 x 13" pan and then mixed in the cola.  Since I didn't have any Pepsi, so I just used some off brand cola. 


 


No comments:

Post a Comment