Monday, August 2, 2010

Mennonite Monday - Enchiladas


Mennonite Monday started because I wanted to make recipes from the Bethesda Mennonite Church Cookbooks (both the yellow and the white cookbook for those of you who own them). I also wanted to take pictures of each recipe that I made, so I would know for future reference what the recipe should look like. I am by no means a great cook, but I think it will be fun to try new and different recipes each week. Not all of these recipes are for ethnic Mennonite food, but the women from Henderson know how to cook, so I can safely say that these recipes will be good. Check back each Monday for a new recipe and feel free to leave a comment if you have a favorite recipe from these cookbooks, or if you have some tips on what I should make and how I should make it.
~

According to your votes, the pick for this week was Enchiladas (pg 164W).  Mike and I both agreed that this was a very good recipe and we can have it again in the future.  I also like that you could make this recipe ahead of time and bake it when you are ready for it.

Enchiladas 
1 lb ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion
8 - 6" flour tortillas
1 tsp salt
8 oz can taco sauce 
4 tbl butter
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
4 tbl flour
2 tsp instant chicken bouillon granules
4 tbl chopped canned green chili peppers
2/3 cup dairy sour cream 

Cook beef and onion till meat is browned and onion is tender.  Drain off fat.  Stir in salt.  Divide meat onto tortillas; top each with taco sauce and 1 Tbl cheese.  Roll up and place seam side down in 10x6x2 inch baking dish.  In saucepan melt butter and blend in flour and bouillon granules.  Stir in water.  Cook and stir till thickened and bubbly.  Stir in chili peppers.  Gradually stir about half the hot mixture into the sour cream.  return to remaining hot mixture.  Pour over tortillas.  Bake uncovered at 350 degrees about 15 minutes.  Sprinkle with remaining cheese.  Bake until cheese melts.  


Like I usually do, I used minced onion and natures seasoning when I browned my meat. 

Instead of making an entire pan with this recipe, I made 2 9x9 inch pans.  Mike and I are not the best with leftovers, so this way we had less leftovers and there is a second pan of enchiladas in the freezer for next time. 

I had a little problem with the sauce. First of all, I didn't have bouillon granules, only bouillon cubs.  While the cubs dissolved, I'm not sure that they mixed in as well as the granules would have. The recipe also told you to add water to the butter and flour, but it never said how much.  I added a little water at a time until it looked more like a sauce and less like a thick paste. 

I also used the whole can of chopped green chili peppers.  I'm not sure if that turned out to be more or less that it need, but either way it still tasted good.  

The sauce on top of the rolls of meat, cheese and taco sauce. 

 The final product.

1 comment:

  1. Looks yummy. I think you need to have your in-laws over for supper or at least bring this to the next family gathering. ;)

    ReplyDelete