Monday, May 3, 2010

Mennonite Monday - Rhubarb Butter Crunch

Mennonite Monday started because I wanted to make recipes from the Bethesda Mennonite Church Cookbooks (both the yellow and the white cookbook for those of you who own them). I also wanted to take pictures of each recipe that I made, so I would know for future reference what the recipe should look like. I am by no means a great cook, but I think it will be fun to try new and different recipes each week. Not all of these recipes are for ethnic Mennonite food, but the women from Henderson know how to cook, so I can safely say that these recipes will be good. Check back each Monday for a new recipe and feel free to leave a comment if you have a favorite recipe from these cookbooks, or if you have some tips on what I should make and how I should make it.
~
Since I as a big slacker this weekend, I put off making my Mennonite Monday recipe until Sunday night. Luckily I had a few friends who were willing to let me make a recipe from the white church cookbook at their house. So this weeks recipe is Rhubarb Butter Crunch found on page 105.  This is a great recipe for something quick and easy, especially with all of the rhubarb that will be ready with the start of summer. 

Rhubarb Butter Crunch 
3 cups diced fresh rhubarb
1 cup sugar
3 Tbl flour
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup oatmeal
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup shortening (Crisco) 
1/2 cup butter
 Combine rhubarb, 1 cup sugar and 1 Tbl flour and place in a greased 9x9 pan.  Combine the remaining ingredients and sprinkle over rhubarb mixture. Bake in 375 degree oven, about 35 minutes.  Serve warm with ice cream. 






This would still be very good without the ice cream on top, but who can resist homemade ice cream. 

Thank you Brad and Kara for letting me host Mennonite Monday from your kitchen this week. 

1 comment:

  1. Glad we could help. :) Thanks for making the dessert! It was fun, as always, to have you here. Can't believe we didn't even get out the cards but it was nice to chat...and eat! :)

    ReplyDelete