Monday, May 31, 2010

Mennonite Monday - Chicken-N-Biscuits

Mennonite Monday started because I wanted to make recipes from the Bethesda Mennonite Church Cookbooks (both the yellow and the white cookbook for those of you who own them). I also wanted to take pictures of each recipe that I made, so I would know for future reference what the recipe should look like. I am by no means a great cook, but I think it will be fun to try new and different recipes each week. Not all of these recipes are for ethnic Mennonite food, but the women from Henderson know how to cook, so I can safely say that these recipes will be good. Check back each Monday for a new recipe and feel free to leave a comment if you have a favorite recipe from these cookbooks, or if you have some tips on what I should make and how I should make it.
~
This week we are having the two recipes voted on last week.  Since the vote was a tie between Chicken-N-Biscuits and Sweet Potato Balls, I will be posting both recipes today.  First will be the Chicken-N-Biscuits (pg 148W). 
Chicken-N-Biscuits
2 1/2 cups cubed cooked chicken
10 oz pkg frozen mixed vegetables
1 cup chopped tomatoes
1 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
3/4 cup milk 
2/3 cup milk 
1 can (2.8 oz) French Fried onions
8 slices bacon, crisp, crumbled cooked and drained
1 can cream of chicken soup (6 oz)
1 1/2 cup biscuit mix

In greased 8 x 12 baking dish, combine the first four ingredients and 1 cup cheese.  Blend soup and 3/4 cup milk and pour over casserole.  Bake covered at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.  Meanwhile combine biscuit mix and 2/3 cup milk and 1/2 can onions.   Mix and drop by spoonful to form 6 biscuits around edge of casserole.  Bake uncovered 15-20 minutes or until biscuits are brown. Top with remaining cheese and onions and bake 2-3 minutes or until onions are toasted.  6 servings. 

Frozen vegetables and tomatoes. 

Chicken 
Cheese.  I didn't mix these ingredients together, I just layered them.  

Soup and milk mixture. 

Biscuit mix, milk and french fried onions. I used Bisquick for the biscuit mix. 

After the seconded time in the oven. 
You may have noticed that the recipe didn't say what to do with the bacon, so I just sprinkled it on top with the cheese and french fried onions before the final time in the oven. 
Chicken -N-Biscuits on the left and Sweet Potato Balls on the right.

No comments:

Post a Comment