Monday, May 10, 2010

Mennonite Monday - German Coffee Cake

Mennonite Monday started because I wanted to make recipes from the Bethesda Mennonite Church Cookbooks (both the yellow and the white cookbook for those of you who own them). I also wanted to take pictures of each recipe that I made, so I would know for future reference what the recipe should look like. I am by no means a great cook, but I think it will be fun to try new and different recipes each week. Not all of these recipes are for ethnic Mennonite food, but the women from Henderson know how to cook, so I can safely say that these recipes will be good. Check back each Monday for a new recipe and feel free to leave a comment if you have a favorite recipe from these cookbooks, or if you have some tips on what I should make and how I should make it.
~
Sorry for the delay in getting the Mennonite Monday recipe posted. This week was the German Coffee Cake pg 60W (W=white church cookbook).  This was a good easy recipe for breakfast that goes together quickly. My favorite part is the crumbly topping. 

German Coffee Cake
2 1/2 cup flour
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup salad oil
1 egg, beaten
1 cup sour cream
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda

Sift together flour, sugar, nutmeg, and salt. Add brown sugar and oil.  Mix together and remove 1/2 for topping.  Beat egg, sour cream, baking powder and soda.  Mix well and add to the sifted mixture.  Pour into greased pan (9x12).  Sprinkle with nuts, cinnamon and the other half topping.  Bake at 325 degrees for 35 minutes. 
Flour, white sugar, nutmeg, and salt.

Added the brown sugar and salad oil. (I just used canola oil, since I had it on hand)

Egg and sour cream.

Egg and sour cream with sifted mixture.

Pouring into a greased 9x13 pan.


Chopped nuts

Cinnamon

The second half of the sifted mixture

Ready for the oven.

Like I said, I loved the crumbly sugary topping. I just tell myself not to think about all the sugar that makes it taste so good.

NEXT WEEK: Mock Chicken Fried Steak

No comments:

Post a Comment