Monday, September 27, 2010

Mennonite Monday - Apple Goodie

Mennonite Monday started because I wanted to make recipes from the Bethesda Mennonite Church Cookbooks (both the yellow and the white cookbook for those of you who own them). I also wanted to take pictures of each recipe that I made, so I would know for future reference what the recipe should look like. I am by no means a great cook, but I think it will be fun to try new and different recipes each week. Not all of these recipes are for ethnic Mennonite food, but the women from Henderson know how to cook, so I can safely say that these recipes will be good. Check back each Monday for a new recipe and feel free to leave a comment if you have a favorite recipe from these cookbooks, or if you have some tips on what I should make and how I should make it.
~
I was going to use the Hamburger Potato Casserole recipe, which was voted on last week, but with a rain we had late this past week, harvest came to a halt and I wasn't able to serve the casserole yet.  I have it started and in the freezer and plan to serve it on Tuesday, so it should be posted next week.  This we I decided to make Apple Goodie (pg 97W) for my first harvest meal of the season. 
Apple Goodie
3 cups sliced apples
1 tsp cinnamon (optional)
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup quick oatmeal
3/4 cup flour
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 tsp soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup butter or oleo

Put sliced apples into a 9" square pan with salt, sugar and cinnamon.  Mix the oatmeal, flour, brown sugar, soda, baking powder and butter until crumbly and sprinkle over apples.  Bake at 350 degrees until apples are done.  

Mixing the oatmeal, flour brown sugar, soda, baking powder and butter. 

Mixing the sugar, salt and cinnamon for the apples.

 Adding the apples.  

 All mixed together. 

Adding the topping.
 
 Since the recipe did not say how long to bake this dessert, I started with 30 minutes.  In the time the apples were baked, but I like the crust a little browner, so I let it bake for another 10 minutes.  

I served this warm with cool whip on top, but you could serve it plain or with ice cream too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment