Monday, September 13, 2010

Mennonite Monday - Spinach Dip

Mennonite Monday started because I wanted to make recipes from the Bethesda Mennonite Church Cookbooks (both the yellow and the white cookbook for those of you who own them). I also wanted to take pictures of each recipe that I made, so I would know for future reference what the recipe should look like. I am by no means a great cook, but I think it will be fun to try new and different recipes each week. Not all of these recipes are for ethnic Mennonite food, but the women from Henderson know how to cook, so I can safely say that these recipes will be good. Check back each Monday for a new recipe and feel free to leave a comment if you have a favorite recipe from these cookbooks, or if you have some tips on what I should make and how I should make it.
~
Since football season is underway and tailgating goes hand in hand with football games, I thought it would be good to make a recipe that could be used at a tailgate this week.  I decided on Spinach Dip (pg 9W Evelyn Hunnell Bergen style).  Since this recipe came from Mikes family I figured he would like it and it was a simple throw together recipe.

Unfortunately, I made this recipe while I was doing several other things, so my pictures are kind of lacking.  On the other hand, this is a pretty simple dump and stir recipe, so I'm confident you will be successful in making it of you try.  
Spinach Dip
1 cup sour cream
1 cup mayonnaise
1 pkg Knorr vegetable soup mix
3 green onions, chopped or 1 to 2 tsp minced onion
1 pkg frozen chopped spinach, thawed
8 oz can water chestnuts, diced
Mix all ingredients together.  Refrigerate 3 hours to season.  Very attractive served in a hollowed out round loaf of whole wheat or rye bread with bread cubes and crackers for "dippers."
I put my water chestnuts in the food processor, because it was quicker than chopping them by hand. 
After they were chopped for 10-15 seconds. 

 I found Knorr vegetable recipe mix instead of the soup mix, but I think it is the same or a similar product.  On the back of this envelope a similar spinach dip recipe was printed, so I figured that it would work.

Just finish by adding the rest of the ingredients and stirring. I pressed all the liquid out of the spinach, so the dip didn't turn out runny.   I did not put my dip in a fancy bread bowl.  Instead I put it in a disposable container because Mike took the dip to a tailgate at the Husker game and I wasn't sure that it would make it back. 
 

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I missed the picture of the completed product, but my mouth watered just at the thought of spinach dip. It's really good with whole-grain crackers or rye bread pieces. I used to like to hollow out the round rye bread to serve it, but it's just as good served in a bowl! Back in the day, when I was in a ladie's club with Carol Janzen, Pam Janzen, Janet Vancura, and a few others, I always had requests for this when club was at my house. We can thank Grandma Evelyn for making this a popular recipe in our family.

    ReplyDelete