Monday, September 20, 2010

Mennonite Monday - Cream of Broccoli Soup

Mennonite Monday started because I wanted to make recipes from the Bethesda Mennonite Church Cookbooks (both the yellow and the white cookbook for those of you who own them). I also wanted to take pictures of each recipe that I made, so I would know for future reference what the recipe should look like. I am by no means a great cook, but I think it will be fun to try new and different recipes each week. Not all of these recipes are for ethnic Mennonite food, but the women from Henderson know how to cook, so I can safely say that these recipes will be good. Check back each Monday for a new recipe and feel free to leave a comment if you have a favorite recipe from these cookbooks, or if you have some tips on what I should make and how I should make it.
~
Sorry for the delay in posting my Mennonite Monday this week, but Mike and I were on a mini vacation, which I will post later in the week.  Since fall is quickly approaching, it is a great time to think about different soups we can make on chilly days.  This week I decided on Cream of Broccoli Soup (pg 204 W).  I hope this recipe will warm  you up this fall.  

Cream of Broccoli Soup
10 oz frozen or fresh broccoli, chopped
2 cups chicken broth
1 soup can of water
3 Tbl butter
3 Tbl flour
1 can cream of chicken soup
6 slices Velveeta
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 to 1 tsp salt
Saute onion in butter, add flour and stir.  Add broth, water and cream of chicken soup, chopped broccoli and stir and simmer for 10 min.  Put into blender until broccoli is chopped.  Return to stove; add cheese and stir and simmer until cheese is melted.  Season with salt to taste if necessary.  Yield: 6 servings. 

 I always cut off the ends of my onions first so they are easier to peel  the skin off. 

Then I slice it the long way. 

 Then I chop the other direction. 

 Butter and onion. 

 While the onion was cooking I measured my other ingredients.  Since I didn't have chicken broth, I used chicken stock. 

 Since this recipe didn't use all of the container of chicken stock, I wrote the date on the container and put it in the refrigerator. 

 Browned onions

 Mixing in the flour. 

 Adding the broth, water and cream of chicken soup. 

 Adding the broccoli that I didn't chop.  I figured that it would get chopped up in the blender, so there was no need to chop it ahead of time. 

 Simmering. 

 I didn't know what 6 slices of Velveeta was, so I just used all the Velveeta I had, which was about a cup.

 Before it was blended. 

 After it was blended. 

 After adding the Velveeta. 

 After you add the Velveeta make sure you stir it, otherwise it will burn to the bottom of the pan and you will have to pick out the brown spots. 


No comments:

Post a Comment