Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Mennonite Monday - Cinnamon Salad


Mennonite Monday started because I wanted to make recipes from the Bethesda Mennonite Church Cookbooks (both the yellow and the white cookbook for those of you who own them). I also wanted to take pictures of each recipe that I made, so I would know for future reference what the recipe should look like. I am by no means a great cook, but I think it will be fun to try new and different recipes each week. Not all of these recipes are for ethnic Mennonite food, but the women from Henderson know how to cook, so I can safely say that these recipes will be good. Check back each Monday for a new recipe and feel free to leave a comment if you have a favorite recipe from these cookbooks, or if you have some tips on what I should make and how I should make it.
~
Here is a quick side recipe that is great for this time of year for a spin on your normal jello salad it is Cinnamon Salad (pg 116 Y).

Cinnamon Salad 
1 pkg cherry jello (I used black cherry because I had it on hand) 
1 cup applesauce
1/4 cup red hots
1 1/2 cup boiling water

Dissolve candy in boiling water.  Add Jello, stirring until dissolved.  Chill until partially set.  Fold in applesauce.
 Boiling water 

 Adding the red hots.  I have been told that Brach's candy dissolves the best. 

 Adding the jello. 

 The jello was set after an hour and a half in the refrigerator. 

 Adding the applesauce. 

 All mixed up. 

Changes I will make next time: 1) I will stick with regular cherry jello.  The black cherry gave it a different color and you expect cinnamon food to be red not purple.  2) I will mix the applesauce in sooner. Letting it set created lumps of jello and I like it when it looks smooth.  

NEXT WEEK: Chocolate-Marshmallow Pie
  

No comments:

Post a Comment