Monday, November 1, 2010

Mennonite Monday - Baked Macaroni and Cheese with Ham

Mennonite Monday started because I wanted to make recipes from the Bethesda Mennonite Church Cookbooks (both the yellow and the white cookbook for those of you who own them). I also wanted to take pictures of each recipe that I made, so I would know for future reference what the recipe should look like. I am by no means a great cook, but I think it will be fun to try new and different recipes each week. Not all of these recipes are for ethnic Mennonite food, but the women from Henderson know how to cook, so I can safely say that these recipes will be good. Check back each Monday for a new recipe and feel free to leave a comment if you have a favorite recipe from these cookbooks, or if you have some tips on what I should make and how I should make it.
~
We had some crazy events (I'll post more about that later)last week, which changed my plans for Mennonite Monday so instead of Cinnamon Twists I made the Baked Macaroni and Cheese with Ham (pg 154W).  This was a great quick recipe to throw together for a week night meal. 
Baked Macaroni and Cheese with Ham 
1 1/2 cup cooked macaroni
1 egg, slightly beaten 
6 oz. cubed cheese
1 Tbl melted margarine 
1 1/2 cup milk 
8 oz. diced ham 
2 Tbl bread crumbs
 Scald milk, add cheese and stir until melted.  Add ham and then add eggs carefully to hot liquid, stirring constantly.  Place macaroni in greased baking dish and pour ham and cheese mixture over the macaroni.  Sprinkle with a mixture of crumbs and margarine.  Bake 30 minutes at 375 degrees.  
 I used a cup of noodles, which cooked to be more than a cup and a half of cooked noodles in the end.  

 I had some cubed ham in the freezer that was perfect for making this recipe. 

 I'm still not sure if I scald milk right, but when I see little bubbles on the edge of the pot I figure it must be close enough. 

 Whenever you put Velveta in a pot, you must stir continuously because it will stick to the bottom of your pot.  I should have learned this when I made the Broccoli Soup, but I guess I still need a few reminders once in a while. 

 I didn't have bread crumbs, so I used corn flake crumbs instead, which seemed to do fine. 

 Draining the noodles. 

 Adding the ham. 

 Adding the egg. 

 Bottom layer noodles. 

 Second layer of cheese and ham mixture. 

 Top layer. 

After it had cooked for 30 minutes.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment