Monday, June 21, 2010

Mennonite Monday - Oreo Cookie Dessert

Mennonite Monday started because I wanted to make recipes from the Bethesda Mennonite Church Cookbooks (both the yellow and the white cookbook for those of you who own them). I also wanted to take pictures of each recipe that I made, so I would know for future reference what the recipe should look like. I am by no means a great cook, but I think it will be fun to try new and different recipes each week. Not all of these recipes are for ethnic Mennonite food, but the women from Henderson know how to cook, so I can safely say that these recipes will be good. Check back each Monday for a new recipe and feel free to leave a comment if you have a favorite recipe from these cookbooks, or if you have some tips on what I should make and how I should make it.
~
This week I let Mike choose what I should make for Mennonite Monday, so it is Oreo Cookie Dessert (pg 103 W). I think this would be a great recipe 4th of July gatherings. 

Oreo Cookie Dessert
1 envelope Knox gelatin
1//4 cup cold water
2/3 cup boiling water
1 large pkg Oreo Cookies
6 egg whites
2/3 cup sugar
1 pint cream 
1/2 tsp vanilla 
1 Tbl powdered sugar

Dissolve 1 envelope Knox gelatin in 1/4 cup cold water.  Add 2/3 cups boiling water and allow to cool.  Crush 1 large package Oreo cookies by breaking up with a rolling pin and putting them in a blender till crumbs are very fine. Beat 6 egg whites for 5 minutes.  Add the sugar gradually, add the gelatin mixture.  Whip the cream and add vanilla and powdered sugar.  Stir together cream and egg whites.  Put half of the cookie crumbs in bottom of 9x13" pan.  Put filling on top and top with the rest of the cookie crumbs.  Refrigerate.  

 This is what Knox gelatin looks like.  It can be found in by the jello.  There are 4 envelopes in the box.  

 It was a little thick when you mix it in the cold water. 

 It thins right down when you mix in the boiling water. 

 I skipped the rolling pin and just put the Oreos in my food processor.  

 I could pour milk over this and eat it with a spoon. 

 Mixing the egg whites.  They never got stiff, so I don't know if that was a mistake or if that is how it should be.  

Mixing in the knox gelatin after to had time to cool. 

 I mixed the cream until it was pretty thick.  Then I mixed in the vanilla and powdered sugar with a spatula. 

 After you mix in the egg white mixture it is very creamy 

The oreo crumbs in the bottom of the 9x13 pan. 

No comments:

Post a Comment