Monday, June 7, 2010

Mennonite Monday - Brownies for a Crowd

Mennonite Monday started because I wanted to make recipes from the Bethesda Mennonite Church Cookbooks (both the yellow and the white cookbook for those of you who own them). I also wanted to take pictures of each recipe that I made, so I would know for future reference what the recipe should look like. I am by no means a great cook, but I think it will be fun to try new and different recipes each week. Not all of these recipes are for ethnic Mennonite food, but the women from Henderson know how to cook, so I can safely say that these recipes will be good. Check back each Monday for a new recipe and feel free to leave a comment if you have a favorite recipe from these cookbooks, or if you have some tips on what I should make and how I should make it.
~
This week I made Brownies for a crowd (pg 17 Y) for Mennonite Monday.  This recipe is quick and will serve at least 24 people a good size brownie. I ate one of these brownies with ice cream on top, which was really really good.  
Brownies for a Crowd
Beat 1/2 cup oleo with 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy.  Beat in 4 eggs and 1 teaspoon vanilla.  Mix well and stir in 1 (1 lb.) can (bottle) of chocolate syrup. Sift together 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon flour, 1/2 teaspoon baking powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt.  Stir in chocolate mixture. Pour into a well greased jelly roll pan 15.5x10.5.  Bake in 350 degree oven for 22-25 minutes. 
Combine 6 tablespoons oleo, 6 tablespoons milk, 1 cup sugar in a saucepan.  Stir to mix.  Bring to a boil and boil 30 seconds.  Add 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate pieces.  Stir until mixture thickens slightly and cools.  Stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla.  Spread over bars.  
Oleo and sugar

With eggs and vanilla added

The entire brownie mixture.

When you let the sugar, milk and oleo boil, it will boil up pretty high.

This turns out to be a big pan of brownies.
    I meant to have a picture of one brownie, but I took the pan to church and it came home empty, so you will have to try them for yourself.  

NEXT WEEK: Potato Pizza.

No comments:

Post a Comment