Monday, October 4, 2010

Mennonite Monday - Potato Nugget Casserole

Mennonite Monday started because I wanted to make recipes from the Bethesda Mennonite Church Cookbooks (both the yellow and the white cookbook for those of you who own them). I also wanted to take pictures of each recipe that I made, so I would know for future reference what the recipe should look like. I am by no means a great cook, but I think it will be fun to try new and different recipes each week. Not all of these recipes are for ethnic Mennonite food, but the women from Henderson know how to cook, so I can safely say that these recipes will be good. Check back each Monday for a new recipe and feel free to leave a comment if you have a favorite recipe from these cookbooks, or if you have some tips on what I should make and how I should make it.
~
This week I made Potato Nugget Casserole (pg 144W), which was voted for during the previous poll.  This was a great meal for harvest because it is some what of a dump and pour recipe that can be made ahead of time and cooked right before it is served.  

Potato Nugget Casserole
1 lb ground beef
1/2 pkg dry onion soup mix
16 oz pkg frozen mixed vegetables
1 can cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup
1 lb Tator Tots or Potato Nuggets

Press ground beef into and 8x8 casserole or pan.  Sprinkle with dry onion soup mix.  Top with vegetables.  Spread on can of soup over vegetables.  Top with frozen potato nuggets.  Bake at 350 degrees for 90 minutes.  Cover with foil the first half.  Remove foil for browning during second half.  

Variation: add layer of sliced Velveeta cheese on top of vegetables or vegetables may be left out and onions added instead of the dry onion soup mix.

 Press down the uncooked hamburger.

 Pour on the dry soup mix. 

 Pour on the vegetables. 

 Add the cream soup. 

 Top with Tator Tots. 

I did notice that my hamburger was a little burnt at the bottom of the dish. I'm not sure if it was because I cooked it to long or for another reason, but otherwise this was a good recipe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment