Monday, April 26, 2010

Mennonite Monday - Sausage and Potato Pie

Mennonite Monday started because I wanted to make recipes from the Bethesda Mennonite Church Cookbooks (both the yellow and the white cookbook for those of you who own them). I also wanted to take pictures of each recipe that I made, so I would know for future reference what the recipe should look like. I am by no means a great cook, but I think it will be fun to try new and different recipes each week. Not all of these recipes are for ethnic Mennonite food, but the women from Henderson know how to cook, so I can safely say that these recipes will be good. Check back each Monday for a new recipe and feel free to leave a comment if you have a favorite recipe from these cookbooks, or if you have some tips on what I should make and how I should make it.
~
This week Mike and I had Sausage and Potato Pie in the field while Mike was planting corn.  I think this is a great recipe to take to the field because it has your vegetable and meat in one dish. Through in a bead and some dessert and you are good to go.  Mike even commented that he thought this meal was good, so it had his seal of approval. 
Sausage and Potato Pie
Crust: 
5 medium potatoes
1 teaspoon salt
1 beaten egg
1/2 chopped onion
1/2 cup bread or cornflakes crumbs
chopped parsley

Cook, drain and mash potatoes, Add rest of ingredients and spread in a greased 10 inch pie plate. 

Filling: 
1 pound bulk pork sausage
1/2 cup green pepper strips
2 teaspoons corn starch
1 can mushroom gravy 
1 can mexican style corn (drained) 
1 cup shredded cheese

Brown sausage; remove and drain on paper towel.  In 1 tablespoon fat, cook the green pepper for 5 minutes.  Stir in sausage, cornstarch, gravy and corn.  Heat. Turn mixture into potato shell, top with cheese.  Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes. 







 I knew I wouldn't have much time after work to make supper, so I made the crust the night before.

 While I was browning the sausage and warming the other ingredients, I put the crust in the oven.  This helped it to warm up, since it had been in the refrigerator overnight. I did not use the green pepper, because I didn't have any on hand and it would have taken a good amount of time to cook.




 I don't like my food to mix or touch on my plate when I eat, so you would think this recipe would not have been good to me, but since the vegetables and meat were meant to be baked together in a pie it don't bother me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment