Monday, March 22, 2010

Mennonite Monday - Homemade Ice Cream

Mennonite Monday started because I wanted to make recipes from the Bethesda Mennonite Church Cookbooks (both the yellow and the white cookbook for those of you who own them). I also wanted to take pictures of each recipe that I made, so I would know for future reference what the recipe should look like. I am by no means a great cook, but I think it will be fun to try new and different recipes each week. Not all of these recipes are for ethnic Mennonite food, but the women from Henderson know how to cook, so I can safely say that these recipes will be good. Check back each Monday for a new recipe and feel free to leave a comment if you have a favorite recipe from these cookbooks, or if you have some tips on what I should make and how I should make it.
~

Last week while I was waiting for my Zwieback to rise, I thought it would be a good time to use our ice cream maker for the first time. We received an ice cream maker for a wedding gift and haven't used it in 2 years.  I decided to go with Beverly Friesen's recipe for homemade ice cream on page 110 of the white church cookbook.
Homemade Ice Cream 
2 small pkg instant vanilla pudding
2 cups whipping cream
2 cups Half and Half
6 eggs
2 cups sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbl vanilla
3-4 cups milk 

Beat pudding with cream and Half and Half on slow speed, gradually add eggs one at a time. Add sugar, salt and vanilla.  Pour mixture into ice cream freezer and add milk to fill line.  Makes 5 quarts. 

 The great thing about this recipe is the fact that you can buy your whipping cream and half and half in one pint containers (roughly 2 cups), so there isn't any left over cream. 

Mixing everything together. Looking back now, I wish I would have used the whisk attachment on my mixer because my pudding made some lumps in my ice cream because it wasn't mixed until it was completely smooth.

In the ice cream maker.

Mixing


YUM!

1 comment:

  1. I've made ice cream for decades, now same machine, using 1 1/2 cup sugar, 4 eggs, 2 T vanilla, pinch salt, pint whipping cream, stirred well in can of machine, fill to line with homogenized milk, process as instructed. Neger a complaint!

    ReplyDelete