Monday, November 2, 2009

Mennonite Monday - Frosting

Mennonite Monday started because I wanted to make recipes from the Bethesda Mennonite Church Cookbooks (both the yellow and the white cookbook for those of you who own them). I also wanted to take pictures of each recipe that I made, so I would know for future reference what the recipe should look like. I am by no means a great cook, but I think it will be fun to try new and different recipes each week. Not all of these recipes are for ethnic Mennonite food, but the women from Henderson know how to cook, so I can safely say that these recipes will be good. Check back each Monday for a new recipe and feel free to leave a comment if you have a favorite recipe from these cookbooks, or if you have some tips on what I should make and how I should make it.
~

Last Sunday I was in need of a frosting recipe for some red velvet cupcakes. I knew that a cream cheese frosting would be best, but the cupcakes were for fall festival at our church I and didn't think it would be good for cream cheese frosting to be out of the refrigerator for several hours. I turned to my trusty white church cookbook and found a simple vanilla frosting on page 57. I have tried to find frosting recipes online several times, but I have never been impressed. I was very impressed with this frosting and I think the next time I want to frost some cookies or a cake, I will probably use this recipe.

Frosting
1 cup Crisco
3 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup water
1 tsp vanilla

Mix and beat with mixer for 6 minutes.

Makes a soft frosting for decorating.

1 comment:

  1. I do this recipe with 1/2 crisco and 1/2 butter - the consistency is the same but I like the flavour better.

    ReplyDelete