Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Mennonite Monday - Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies

Mennonite Monday started because I wanted to make recipes from the Bethesda Mennonite Church Cookbooks (both the yellow and the white cookbook for those of you who own them). I also wanted to take pictures of each recipe that I made, so I would know for future reference what the recipe should look like. I am by no means a great cook, but I think it will be fun to try new and different recipes each week. Not all of these recipes are for ethnic Mennonite food, but the women from Henderson know how to cook, so I can safely say that these recipes will be good. Check back each Monday for a new recipe and feel free to leave a comment if you have a favorite recipe from these cookbooks, or if you have some tips on what I should make and how I should make it.
~
This week for Mennonite Monday  Tuesday, I decided to make Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies (pg 27 Y).  I was needing some snacks to take several places and they seemed to be a nice change-up from normal chocolate chip cookies.  

Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Cookies
Preheat oven to 375*
Sift together:
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder 
1 1/4 teaspoon soda
1/4 teaspoon salt

Cream: 
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup peanut butter

Blend in: 
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg

Stir in flour mixture alternately with 1/2 cup milk.  Fold in 1 cup (6 oz.) Hershey's Semi-Sweet Dainties.  Drop by spoonfuls on cookie sheet.  Bake for 12 minutes.  Yields about three dozen cookies.  

 All of ingredients creamed together.  I was not sure what Hershey's Semi-Sweet Dainties were, so I just used semi-sweet chocolate chips, which seemed to work just fine. 

 Usually I like to refrigerate my cookie dough so the cookies don't go flat, but I didn't have time for that, so I dropped them on the pan as soon as they were done mixing, which turned out fine. 

 I like soft cookies so I would recommend only baking the cookies for 10 minutes unless the dough is cold.  


The recipe was very close to 3 dozen cookies, which is a good size.  

No comments:

Post a Comment