Monday, December 6, 2010

Mennonite Monday - Chocolate - Marshmallow Pie


Mennonite Monday started because I wanted to make recipes from the Bethesda Mennonite Church Cookbooks (both the yellow and the white cookbook for those of you who own them). I also wanted to take pictures of each recipe that I made, so I would know for future reference what the recipe should look like. I am by no means a great cook, but I think it will be fun to try new and different recipes each week. Not all of these recipes are for ethnic Mennonite food, but the women from Henderson know how to cook, so I can safely say that these recipes will be good. Check back each Monday for a new recipe and feel free to leave a comment if you have a favorite recipe from these cookbooks, or if you have some tips on what I should make and how I should make it.
~
This week I needed to make a pie for the Noodle Soup Supper and since I have never made a fruit pie before, I decided to not do my test run for that type of a pie for such a large event.  As a result I opted for a simpler Chocolate-Marshmallow Pie (pg 117 W).  I was excited to see that my grandma had submitted the recipe, which also made me want to try it. 

Chocolate - Marshmallow Pie
8 oz Hershey Bar with nuts
22 large marshmallows
1/2 cup milk
2 cups Cool Whip
1 baked graham cracker crust
In saucepan melt Hershey bar, marshmallows and milk.  Cool.  Stir in Cool Whip.  Pour into pie shell.  Refrigerate overnight.  

I added the chocolate and milk before the marshmallows so they could melt and mix.  I used Hersheys bar with almonds and was a little confused about the size.  My king size bars were 2.4 oz, so I used two of them.  I'm still not sure if I used to much or too little chocolate, but it turned out fine.  I will have to looking into 8oz chocolate bar a little bit more. 

Before I added the marshmallows. 

Mixing in the marshmallows.  

According to the instructions with my graham cracker crust, in order to bake it you need to brush it with butter.  

I did a pretty light coat, and then put it in the oven at 375 degrees for 5 minutes. 

Once the milk, chocolate and marshmallows were melted and mixed, I transferred them into a bowl and let it cool in the refrigerator.  

When the crust came out of the oven.  I think baking the crust is important, because I made a pie without baking the crust and it was much harder to work with. 

Mixing in the Cool Whip.  

Pouring it into the curst. 

Mike really liked this pie and said I should make it again.  However, he does not like nuts, so he requested that I use a plain Hershey bar next time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment